Laparoscopic surgery is the most developed type of minimally invasive surgery, in which a minor complications rate, a greater postoperative comfort and a shorter hospital stay are associated with the same effectiveness of surgery compared to conventional open procedures.
Laparoscopic surgery is the best representation of minimally invasive surgery. It is equally efficient but has lower number of complications, a better postoperative comfort, and a shorter stay at hospital.
In only 20 years, the surgical procedure has changed and all the early expectations on this technique have been improved. The important technological progress (such as facilitation and training devices) and the increase in technical experience of the surgical teams have also contributed to this development.
Our Department has not ignored this new path of modern medicine. Nowadays we indicate and perform this surgical approach in two different situations as long as technical conditions permit it:
Surgical procedures in which the evolution of the patient is clearly improved:
- Diagnostic laparoscopy and staging of tumor diseases
- Cholecystectomy and surgery of the main biliary duct lithiasis
- Gastroesophageal reflux surgery.
- Heller procedure in the treatment of achalasia.
- Morbid obesity surgery
- Colon surgery (benign and malignant processes)
- Rectal tumor surgery
Laparoscopic procedures considered useful for the patient:
- Distal and central pancreatic surgery.
- Localization and enucleation of neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors
- Surgery or the left hepatic lobe or peripheral injuries located in the right lobe
- Gastric and esophageal resections.
- Bilateral inguinal hernia or recurrent groin hernia surgery
Other laparoscopic procedures considered useful for the patient:
- Removal of hepatic, pancreatic, splenic or adrenal gland injuries through the vagina after laparoscopic resection.
All the members of our Department are experienced in the described laparoscopic techniques but they also have long experience in the same procedures from an open approach, which is essential to guarantee safety in the process.
Moreover, the quality of the technology available at Madrid Norte San Chinarro Hospital for the laparoscopic surgery is excellent, as the operating rooms have been designed specifically for this purpose. The security and reliability of the procedures are guaranteed as well thanks to the special training of our nursing team and our permanent technicians, who take good care of the operating rooms.